It’s that time again, ladies, when the summer heat hits triple digits and getting dressed is all about staying cool. But you don’t need to sacrifice style to dress for the hot summer months. Here are some smart style tips to keep you looking chic and feeling cool:
- Choose clothing pieces that don’t cling to the body so you can maximize air flow. For example, the boho chic brand Johnny Was makes a great full-length, loose fit cargo pant in a multitude of colors, made of rayon, and machine washable and dryable, that you can dress up or down for all occasions.
- Consider wearing an architecturally interesting, flowy summer skirt typically found in boutiques. These skirts have great detailing and are made of lightweight fabrics such as cotton, linen or a hybrid. Pair your skirt with a cotton tee or off-the-shoulder top, and metallic sandals for an ultra-feminine look.
- Shop for tops that are cut shorter (to the hip bone) and wider, and pair them with any type of narrower bottom from Bermuda shorts and knee-length skirts to Capri pants and long skirts. Playing with these clothing proportions is a great way to flatter your figure and stay ultra-cool on top.
- Layer your way to summer dressing by combining a cotton tank under a loose-weave, woven top for a temperature friendly, stylish look. Tanks are an inexpensive way to add a pop of color and brighten your look. Mix vibrant colors with white, beige and light grey to make a statement.
- Treat yourself to a fun summer dress that turns heads. Again, boutiques are great for various silhouettes, colors, patterns, fabrics and lengths. Select a dress that hugs some part of your body (shoulders, waist or hips) before falling gently downward to the knees, calves or ankles. Pair the dress with a colorful flat sandal or an espadrille type shoe.
- Wear lighter colors, in general, since they reflect the sun rather than dark colors which absorb sunlight. Although there is nothing wrong with black, dark brown or navy clothing in the summer from a style perspective, these colors can look and feel hot. So try bright white for the ultimate in summer cool.
- Keep a large, rectangular, lightweight scarf in your handbag to wrap around your shoulders when you walk into air-conditioned buildings. Select a scarf in a neutral, solid color so that it looks great with any outfit.
Even with these suggestions, dressing for the summer can be a challenge. So remember, I’m just a phone call or text away to help you shop!